Sunday, August 23, 2009

Day 1

On Saturday I went to the store to purchase all the food I'd need for the first two weeks of the plan. I spent $85, including an $8 package of multi-vitamins. I wasn't able to find exactly what Dr. Eades recommends in the book, so I got as close as I could.

It probably wasn't a great idea, but I decided to binge a bit on my final two days before starting the plan. I'm sure I'm not alone in doing this sort of thing, but I loaded up on McDonalds, chips, ice cream, and other junk food. This is something I rarely do in the first place, as I have followed a low carb maintenance diet for most of the past decade. Shocking your system with two days of sugar and junk food when you're not used to it can be a brutal experience. I don't recommend it.

As you might imagine, the first day of any new dietary experience always brings with it some adjustment. I had no idea what to expect. Would I be hungry and tired all day? Would I get headaches or have other unpleasant side effects? As it turns out, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it would be. I would rate my overall hunger level at about a 5 (with 10 being very hungry and 0 being not at all). Other than that, I've suffered no ill effects whatsoever.

At the beginning of my six-week journey with Drs. Mike and Mary Dan Eades, I offer the following starting measurements. They will be updated at the end of each week:

Day

Start

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

*Weight and Body fat taken on a Tanita Body Fat Monitorimmediately upon waking.

Weight (lbs)*

216.4

Body Fat % *

32.0

Waist (inches)

46.5625

Hips (inches)

45.875

Chest (inches)

44.0

For breakfast today I had a massive 3-egg omelet with two slices of bacon, about half a cup of cubed ham, and a quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I washed it down with a half liter bottle of Nestle Pure Life Kiwi-Strawberry Splash. Very filling and satisfying.

 I put my entire day's meals into FitDay and was a bit surprised by the results.
GramsCalories%-Cals
Calories
1,808
Fat
95.2
855
47
%
Saturated
44.5
400
22
%
Polyunsaturated
7.9
71
4
%
Monounsaturated
28.8
259
14
%
Carbohydrate
30.6
120
7
%
Dietary Fiber
1.7
Protein
209.8
851
47
%

As you can see, this is certainly not a low-calorie diet. If you happen to be lipophobic, the high fat content is likely to scare you off. However, don't dismiss it too quickly. The fat shouldn't be a concern, as Drs. Eades point out repeatedly on their blog and in their books.

No comments:

Post a Comment